2019 © Acquire Printers
The History of Christ Church Biddulph Moor
An Anglican church for the moor had been vigorously promoted by James Bateman of Biddulph Grange as early as 1850, and he spent a great deal of time in correspondence with local landowners able to subscribe to the project. An earlier idea, to convert part of a redundant mill into a place of worship came to nothing, and a plot of land was sought which would accommodate a high quality building designed in the then popular Italianate style. Bateman, together with his friend Edward Cooke eventually had to tailor their ambitions for a grandiose building to the amount of subscriptions received, and the unusual and attractive building which was eventually completed and consecrated in 1863.
The final design retained many of the architectural features associated with the
Italianate style, including a fine apse. The then substantial sum of almost £600
was contributed by Bateman himself - through the sale of some of his prize orchids
through Stevens, the London auctioneer. The builder, Mr Stanway, who tendered successfully
at a cost of around £1500, still has descendants living in the area. The stone for
the church was quarried at nearby Over the Hill - as was the stone for the school
opposite the church, which is now the church hall, this was built in 1852.